Friday, April 2, 2010

My Writing Goals For The Fourth Quarter

Some of my writing goals for the final quarter are to just make it to the end of the year. While the blog posts are getting easier, it is still sometimes difficult to come up with 500 words each week about a new topic. The 500 words don't seem as difficult as they did when we first raised the limit up to 500 words, but they are definitely not as difficult as the old 300 word posts. For example, the 300 words required for the lit circle letters seem so easy now that we are typing 500 words weekly.

I plan to still write about sports each week, because like many things in life, sports are constantly changing. You can't just type one post about a story because that story is bound to change eventually. It's like starting a task, assuming it's done, and not checking in on it ever again. There will always be more to talk about on a specific topic.

I don't want my posts to be repetitive, but it is always important to sometimes re iterate what I am trying to say or prove in each of my posts. This is why a lot of my posts are similar, but never identical. For example, look at my two posts about the 49ers. Sure they are about the same team, but the things I am talking about are of course different. From an earlier post:

"Hearing Alex Smith to Michael Crabtree for a Touchdown is something I can get used to over the next few years. Last weekend Alex Smith came in for "relief" of Shaun Hill who quite frankly wasn't getting it done. In one half he threw for 206 yards and 3 touchdown passes. Last week also marked the first game for long time holdout Michael Crabtree who caught 5 passes in his opening game. Many consider those 2 plus other offensive threats the future of the 49ers and let me just say that the future is looking bright."

Now compare that to a later post about the same team:


"Back to football talk now. The Forty Niners laid the wood against the Cardinals and one of the ESPN writers is quoted to saying that the owner of the Cardinals only owns the team 363 days a year, the Niners own them the other two. That basically sums up the season for the Forty Niners as they either do great against a team or completely suck and can't do anything football related to save their lives. When the Niners beat the Cardinals 24-9 on Monday on National Television cemented their place in the eyes of all football watchers across the US. They are for real and here to stay with a bright future of young players coming up as the next generation of 49er's football. A good sign."

I feel that I have mastered the art of repeating but not being overly repetitive. There is a fine line and I think I am walking it pretty well right now. But that is only my opinion, no matter how biased it may sound. So it is really up to you to decide whether I am walking it well or not. I also think I realized who I am really writing to and that has of course helped my typing. It has made it easier to come up with a topic and to type about that topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment