Friday, September 25, 2009

I Beg You

Many believe that baseball is America's past time but i think differently. Looking into the stands tonight watching the giant's game, I realized that baseball is a dying breed. If you look across the bay, though, it's a completely different story. Football has always been popular and if anything is on the up and up. While the Giants may be trying to squeeze into the playoff picture, but a quick 2-0 start by the Niners has stolen any attention from that. With a new era present in bay area football, it is time for the giants to move along and let football shine.

This isn't the first time that football has been number 1 in the bay area. Just look at 49ers who are tied for second with 5 Super Bowl titles second only to the Steeler's who just won last year. What isn't to like about the 49ers? They're young and talented with many great years ahead of them and have an owner who believes in his team and more importantly, their coach. Mike Singletary, who took over last year, is changing the team into winners. His motto "We want winners" can be seen on all AC Transit buses around the bay area which is a sign of a change. The state is getting behind the team and we know a great team when we see one.

Whether this is the year they win it or not, nobody knows. But, I can guarantee this wont be the last year they make the playoffs with this team. So it's important you get into football. I beg of you, whether it be watching a game this weekend, or playing fantasy football, PLEASE get into football and I promise you won't be disappointed with the results you will get from YOUR San Francisco 49ers.

1 comment:

  1. Nick, you are a born sportswriter. I've never read anybody's attempt to literally BEG me to get interested in an entire sport, for the heroic reasons you spell out. It's a great, ambitious idea for such a short piece, and I'll be damned--you bring it off.

    My uncle used to come over to my house when I was a kid and he'd sometimes bring over newspaper clippings and read them to us. In the Detroit area, there was a sportswriter (is that really one word?), radio DJ, and later author named Mitch Albom. You've probably heard of some of his projects, like Tuesdays with Morrie and others. Anyway, he'd written this column about the Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley cup and that's what my uncle read to us one night. I wish I still had it--you might be able to find it on the web. I remember it being similar in a lot of ways to what you've written here. I hope you dig it up.

    Anyways, great work.

    ReplyDelete